February 28, 2005
— Ace Dave From Garfield Ridge watched more of the Oscars than I did (or at least he's willing to admit watching more), and he runs down his observations.
More interesting to me are his and his friend's quite-understandable feelings about Kate Winslet.
And he also finds fault with the Chris Rock's and Frank Pearson's empty stock-phrases of "support" for our troops:
It was nice to hear him praise the troops, but I must take issue with the generic "pray for the swift and safe return of our soldiers" line. Not because it's incorrect; everyone (well, *almost* everyone) can agree with it. It's just that it's an incomplete sentiment that reveals how low our definition of patriotism has sunk.
How come you never hear anyone in Hollywood, or anywhere in non-political public life, ever pray for the swift, safe, AND victorious return of our troops? Would such sentiment in favor of actually winning be too jingo for the crowd, too full of insensitive, ignorant bloodlust?
I can only imagine Gary Cooper at the 1941 Academy Awards praising "the troops," but never mentioning the hope that before they return home they might grab a few Nazi and Jap scalps on the way back.
I'm not sure when rooting for an American victory in a time of war became an obscenely controversial position, but apparently it now is.
Looks Like a "Linky" Kinda Day Update: I'm tired, burned out, and I have nothing much to say myself.
Plus, I'm finishing up the Haiku awards. So pardon me if I can only manage some linking today without much original content.
2. The secretary at Boyd Aviation and Fletch (Chevy Chase), Fletch
3. Tom Cody (Michael Pare), Streets of Fire
4. Freddy/Mr. Orange (Tim Roth), Reservoir Dogs
5. Jack T. Colton (Michael Douglas), Romancing the Stone
6. Joana Stayton/"Annie" (Goldie Hawn) and Dean Proffitt (Kurt Russell), Overboard
7. Animal Mother (Adam Baldwin), Full Metal Jacket
8. ... (Roddy Piper), They Live
9. Mexican girl and ... (Chevy Chase), Three Amigos!
10. Veronica's Dad, Heathers
11. "The Electrician" (John Ratzenberger), House II: The Second Story
12. (Rodney Dangerfield), Back To School
13. Beetlejuice (Micheal Keaton), Beetlejuice
14. Lane (John Cusack), Better Off Dead
15. Wang Chi (Dennis Dun) and Jack Burton (Kurt Russell), Big Trouble In Little China
16. Papagallo, The Road Warrior
17. Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us
18. Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), Blade Runner
19. Principle Vernon (John Gleason), The Breakfast Club
20. Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey), Ace Ventura II: When Nature Calls
21. Ash (Bruce Campbell), Army of Darkness
22. Happy Gilmore (Adam Sandler), Happy Gilmore
23. Kathryn (Sarah Michelle Gellar), Cruel Intentions
24. Drunken Brother at Wedding (Steve Buscemi), The Wdding Singer
25. "Duckie" (Jon Cryer), Pretty in Pink
26. Carrie's Mom (Piper Laurie), Carrie
27. Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasance), Halloween
28. Domino (Rachel Ward) and Sharky (Burt Reynolds), Sharky's Machine
29. Jack Burton (Kurt Russell), Big Trouble in Little China
30. Alison (Daphne Zuniga) and Gib (John Cusack), The Sure Thing
31. R.J. MacReady (Kurt Russell), The Thing
32. Leopold (Hugh Jackman), Kate & Leopold
33. General Jack T. Ripper (Sterling Hayden) and Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, Dr. Strangelove
34. Jonathan "The Duke" Mardukas (Charles Grodin), Midnight Run
35. The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and Pawn Shop Clerk, The Terminator
36. The Stranger (Clint Eastwood), High Plains Drifter
37. Captain Ramsey (Gene Hackman), Crimson Tide
38. Freddy Benson (Steve Martin), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
39. Uncle Martin (Charles Grodin) and Clifford (Martin Short), Clifford
40. Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr (Steve Martin), The Man With Two Brains
Posted by: CraigC at February 28, 2005 12:33 PM (SklJV)
Dave at Garfield Ridge
Posted by: Dave at Garfield Ridge at February 28, 2005 03:39 PM (mrpxK)
Posted by: Brad at February 28, 2005 05:31 PM (etdYh)
A gate valve, also known as a sluice valve, is a valve that opens by lifting a round or rectangular gate/wedge out of the path of the fluid. The distinct feature of a gate valve is the sealing surfaces between the gate and seats are planar, so gate valves are often used when a straight-line flow of fluid and minimum restric-tion is desired. The gate faces can form a wedge shape or they can be parallel. Typical cast steel gate valve should never be used for regulating flow, unless they are specifically designed for that purpose. On opening the gate valve, the flow path is enlarged in a highly nonlinear manner with respect to percent of opening. This means that flow rate does not change evenly with stem travel. Also, a partially open gate disk tends to vibrate from the fluid flow. Most of the flow change occurs near shutoff with a relatively high fluid velocity causing disk and seat wear and eventual leakage if used to regulate flow. Typical flanged gate valve are designed to be fully opened or closed. When fully open, the typical gate valve has no obstruction in the flow path, resulting in very low friction loss
forged steel gate valve are characterised as having either a rising or a nonrising stem. Rising stems provide a visual indication of valve position because the stem is attached to the gate such that the gate and stem rise and lower together as the valve is operated. Nonrising stem valves may have a pointer threaded onto the upper end of the stem to indicate valve position, since the gate travels up or down the stem on the threads without raising or lowering the stem. Nonrising stems are used underground or where vertical space is limited.
Posted by: smith at May 28, 2010 03:14 AM (8e+PT)
Posted by: Indonesia Furniture Handicraft Wholesale Marketplace at August 24, 2010 07:56 PM (zf61z)
Your style of writing is amazing. How did you learn to write this way? I wish I could add you as a feed but I only have firefox mozilla and it doesn't work. I will refer friends to your site.
Posted by: xubeibei at September 03, 2010 08:45 PM (U/37a)
MKV to PS3 Converter
Posted by: PS3 Converter at March 07, 2011 04:43 AM (iTwJg)
Practical Shoe covers the machine
Convenient Shoe covers the machine
Cheap Massage chair
Posted by: Shoe covers the machine at May 24, 2011 02:13 AM (Q6I8C)
Thank you for all of your hard work on this web site. Debby really likes setting aside time for research and it is simple to grasp why. We notice all relating to the dynamic manner you deliver helpful ideas on this blog and therefore cause participation from some others about this area while our own princess is now discovering a whole lot. My Blog เที่ยวสิงคโปร์ foods high in fiber list อุปกรณ์คอมพิวเตอร์
Posted by: อุปกรณ์คอมพิวเตอร์ at January 24, 2012 03:44 AM (Gvw//)
62 queries taking 1.7937 seconds, 245 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.