September 22, 2013
— Gang of Gaming Morons!
Well, TGS was this week and it followed the tradition of the past few years of being uneventful. But it did let the smaller Japanese games show up and be talked about.
• Like for instance, though Swery says you can use a controller, his upcoming D4 game meant to be played with the Kinect in a Heavy Rain style P&C game. As much as I really liked Deadly Premonition, I really hope someone from MS Osaka is helping him as the gameplay was DP's biggest weakness.
• New trailer for the upcoming Crimson Dragon (with audio this time). Don't know how I feel about using English instead of the made up language in the Panzer Dragoon games. Probably my most wanted game at launch. Hard to pass up a new Panzer Dragoon for $20.
• You have no idea on how much of a chubby I have at the thought of more Dark Souls on my PC. Just wish we were getting the damn limited editions for the PC
• The best thing on the Vita teases a sequel.
• So Deep Down is going to be F2P with a beta around the Japanese PS4 launch. It being F2P doesn't bother me but man, Capcom hasn't been able to get the concept of it right so far. And watching the stream that they had of attendees playing it gives me pause. Though it's five months out, the gameplay just doesn't look that interesting to me (at this point) even though I really dig the straight up Roguelike trappings. I really hope they can pull it out before it's released
• Ugh, bullet time in a Metal Gear Solid game.
• This is old but still fun
• So Sega bought Index Corporation (parent company of Atlus). Probably one of the better spots for them (Nintendo would have been better) but deep down inside me, I wish MS picked them up just for the head explosions and lost in translation moments
• As much as I would love a physical release for the upcoming Phoenix Wright since Nintendo still can't figure out actual accounts but it's not in the cards. But, Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies has finally got a release date. Out on October 24th for $29.99.
• You know, I totally forgot that Warhammer Online was still up. I guess it doesn't matter much since it won't be alive much longer as they announced that WAR will be shut down on December 18th. So much wasted potential with that game.
• Yep, as expected, the new GTA blew off the doors on the 24 hour sales mark and has hit over $1 billion dollars. Game hasn't been that bad either. Return of the non-essential NPC derpface and can't find a radio station that I can leave it on but so far I would say it's in my top 3 in the 3rd person GTA games (behind San Andreas and Vice City).
• While GTAV is breaking the door off with becoming the biggest game ever, Monster Hunter 4 is also setting the Japanese chart on fire with selling out in 2 days with an estimated 1.875 million units in two days (it's over 2 million units and that isn't including the direct eShop purchases). In an era of this not happening that much any more (Monster Hunter 3 was the last one) , it's quite the feat.
• On that note, I have to kinda agree with Peter Molyneux that these numbers are nice but something like Puzzle & Dragons being more impressive with them being able to pull in $100-$120 million a month over the last 3 years on something that doesn't really have much upkeep compared to GTAV's reportedly $265m marketing and development budget.
• Valve is teasing three things, would expect a Left4Dead3 (popped up on the registry), maybe something about the Steambox certification and Linux (as last week Gabe still claimed that Linux will revolutionize PC gaming).
• The pre-order of the PC version of Agarest: Generations of War has hit Steam. If you don't mind a bit of a grind, this SRPG is quite good. It lets you bang chicks and have your bastard children fight your battles.
• Pre-orders of the US release of one of the greatest time traveling stories of all-time, Steins;Gate has finally opened. It's $39.95 for the download copy at JAST (charge you now) and J-List (charge you when it's released) or you can buy this spiffy limited physical edition for $59.99 plus shipping from Jast or J-List. I take no responsibility if you click around their stores and see porn and/or onaholes
• And speaking of Visual Novels, the loveable Higurashi: When They Cry has finally been greenlit for being on sale at Steam. Hopefully this gets more people to read through it as if you like weird and the macabre, you will dig this.
• I've been playing Card Hunter quite a bit this past week. It's a flash F2P with some microtransactions (haven't hit a wall where you needed to spend cash yet). It's a really cool dungeon crawler SRPG. You can check it out here
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U) - Yeah, I totally screwed up on this one with not listing it last week. With their constant Sunday releases, I was thinking this was coming out today but realistically, I just can't read a stupid calendar. It's an HD port of one of my favorite 3D Zelda games. Not much else to really say about it. You can go pick it up right now on the eShop for $50.
Armored Core: Verdict Day (PS3,360) - It's the new $50 stand-alone expansion to Armored Core V. If you dig mechs, it's hard to hate this series outside of FROM doing what they usually do and push the hardware farther than it can actually go. I would buy it myself but I'm on a sabbatical of not buying new console games vOv
FIFA 14 (PS3,360,PS2) - Another year, another FIFA game. This time you do get to upgrade from the 360/PS3 release to the PS4/One for $10 when the systems come out.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 (PS3,360) - Well, Konami supposedly went back to the drawing board after running the PES name through the mud these past 5 years or so. This time it's running on Kojima's Fox Engine.
Shadow Warrior (PC) - Well, the remake is finally coming out. Hopethisdoesn'tsuckHopethisdoesn'tsuckHopethisdoesn'tsuckHopethisdoesn'tsuck
That's it, I'm spent. Time for me to kick my feet up on a bench and lounge.
Send hatemail here.
Posted by: The Dude at September 22, 2013 10:17 AM (vJdyz)
Posted by: Vic at September 22, 2013 10:20 AM (zZbNF)
Posted by: Vic at September 22, 2013 10:20 AM (zZbNF)
Posted by: alexthechick - Team No Seriously Fuck All Of This Shit So Hard at September 22, 2013 10:21 AM (Gk3SS)
Posted by: Buzzion at September 22, 2013 10:25 AM (LI48c)
Posted by: The Dude at September 22, 2013 10:25 AM (vJdyz)
Posted by: Merovign, Dark Lord of the Sith's Other Mobile[/i][/b][/s][/u] at September 22, 2013 10:26 AM (qyfb5)
Posted by: Buzzion at September 22, 2013 03:25 PM (LI48c)
eh, it's just how Blizzard's stuff usually goes. I've had the same problem for the last 3 years or so
Posted by: The Dude at September 22, 2013 10:26 AM (vJdyz)
Anyone else play Animal Crossing:New Leaf? I have almost every fruit now and I am always looking for places to sell turnips without getting owned.
Posted by: Zakn at September 22, 2013 10:30 AM (zyaZ1)
Posted by: Sticky Wicket at September 22, 2013 10:31 AM (sCynV)
They made Cake Girl cry. Damn them all to Hell!
Posted by: kbdabear at September 22, 2013 10:31 AM (/9IC1)
Posted by: Merovign, Dark Lord of the Sith's Other Mobile at September 22, 2013 03:26 PM (qyfb5)
there are better pics of Aria (girl's name) out there, can't post them here though
Posted by: The Dude at September 22, 2013 10:32 AM (vJdyz)
On remote play.
I'd note something here and maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me the "remote play" (or other streaming varieties) of various things always works great (in the ideal environment set up at these demo stations, where you're going through a router specially designed to connect these two devices...blah blah blah.)
I remember OnLive running into this too. Everything worked great on show floors, and then went "boom" when people tried to take it home (I dunno if they ever fixed it.)
(And no, I'm not just bitter because I passed on picking up a Free OnLive box-thingy at PAX in 2011, I was not waiting in that line unless they were handing out...eh, put you're own super valuable thing here.)
Posted by: tsrblke, actual real life PhD student at September 22, 2013 10:32 AM (GaqMa)
I wondered what Rum has been up to lately
Posted by: kbdabear at September 22, 2013 10:34 AM (/9IC1)
Well, I hope so since my next pc will be built up from components and will not have Windows 8 on it.
Posted by: Too Many Cookies at September 22, 2013 10:35 AM (ys13V)
God, I love me some swords and sword action.
Personally, upgraded a few things on my gaming PC. Another new SS hard drive to up my performance a bit. A new game mouse, which is super easy to program. And, a new mechanical gaming keyboard (Ducky, of course!) to enhance my playing.
Not feeling the love with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Falling through the world/getting stuck way too much. A bit too much lag. And, annoying if you and your spouse/friend start with a different class, and you end up not being able to play/port with each other until level 15 or whatever. Pretty boring for me so far, too. I'm playing an Archer, atm.
Posted by: artisanal 'ette at September 22, 2013 10:35 AM (IXrOn)
That Neal Stephenson kickstarter rant was hilarious for all the wrong reasons.
The way I read it, he's pissed because not enough people drank the kool-aid that is Neal Stephenson. I like swords, and swordfighting, but there isn't enough interest for a new swordfighting mechanic. It's very much a niche market.
Posted by: Colorado Alex at September 22, 2013 10:36 AM (lr3d7)
Posted by: The Dude at September 22, 2013 03:32 PM (vJdyz)
oops, that should be Aira
Posted by: The Dude at September 22, 2013 10:37 AM (vJdyz)
In neverwinter, I outfitted my rogue for next to nothing in top end gear. I was buying it when I started playing, and stuck the pieces in the bank, as I acquired them. Hit max level, and strapped it all on. Never killed a single mob that dropped any of that. Makes the game rather meh, IMO.
Posted by: Sticky Wicket at September 22, 2013 03:31 PM (sCynV)
that's why I'm a big fan of bound items.
certain items should be bound to char, like quest gear/weapons, while blue or higher to rare and unique s/be able to be traded.
some games do a good job of this
Posted by: artisanal 'ette at September 22, 2013 10:38 AM (IXrOn)
Posted by: Merovign, Dark Lord of the Sith's Other Mobile[/i][/b][/s][/u] at September 22, 2013 10:44 AM (qyfb5)
Posted by: artisanal 'ette at September 22, 2013 10:44 AM (IXrOn)
Posted by: no good deed at September 22, 2013 10:46 AM (k55Fc)
Posted by: The dude at September 22, 2013 10:47 AM (vJdyz)
Posted by: The dude at September 22, 2013 10:49 AM (vJdyz)
Posted by: artisanal 'ette at September 22, 2013 10:52 AM (IXrOn)
Posted by: The dude at September 22, 2013 10:55 AM (vJdyz)
Posted by: NotAMoose at September 22, 2013 10:59 AM (ZZg4j)
Posted by: Conservative Crank's iPhone at September 22, 2013 11:07 AM (at+o4)
Posted by: The dude at September 22, 2013 11:09 AM (vJdyz)
Posted by: Conservative Crank's iPhone at September 22, 2013 11:13 AM (at+o4)
Posted by: NWConservative at September 22, 2013 11:21 AM (M1gmo)
Posted by: Anna Puma (+SmuD) at September 22, 2013 11:31 AM (nqb9X)
Posted by: NWConservative at September 22, 2013 04:21 PM
And Bill Gates, wherever you are out there ...
FUCK YOU TOO!!!
Posted by: Lt Col Frank Slade at September 22, 2013 11:32 AM (/9IC1)
Posted by: The dude at September 22, 2013 11:32 AM (vJdyz)
Posted by: Ian S. at September 22, 2013 11:37 AM (T6c9C)
Posted by: Anna Puma (+SmuD) at September 22, 2013 11:40 AM (nqb9X)
Posted by: Henry Waxman (D) at September 22, 2013 11:41 AM (CYS6Q)
Yeah, I am so glad that he is on the way out along with all the other idiots who thought that Win8 was UBER AWESOME.
Posted by: NWConservative at September 22, 2013 11:42 AM (M1gmo)
Posted by: Sticky Wicket at September 22, 2013 11:57 AM (sCynV)
Posted by: Empire1 at September 22, 2013 11:59 AM (KUxI+)
You use the Dragonrend shout on Alduin, forcing him to land. After you cause sufficient damage, he flies off and you proceed to the next part of the main quest.
Posted by: DKCZ at September 22, 2013 12:06 PM (EgGjx)
Amusing Teemo lore video:
Posted by: ConservativeMonster at September 22, 2013 12:10 PM (0wHyk)
Posted by: Buzzion at September 22, 2013 12:15 PM (X+K5Y)
Posted by: The dude at September 22, 2013 12:17 PM (vJdyz)
Posted by: Sticky Wicket at September 22, 2013 12:19 PM (sCynV)
Posted by: Empire1 at September 22, 2013 12:24 PM (KUxI+)
Posted by: Anna Puma (+SmuD) at September 22, 2013 04:40 PM (nqb9X)
First I've ever heard of that game. Sounds somewhat interesting, though it has mediocre reviews. You enjoy the DotA/MOBA game type?
Posted by: ConservativeMonster at September 22, 2013 12:25 PM (0wHyk)
Posted by: Sticky Wicket at September 22, 2013 12:27 PM (sCynV)
Posted by: Buzzion at September 22, 2013 12:45 PM (myRkn)
These gamer posts are fascinating. I don't play video games often because busy (and so old I was a D&D guy), but my kids do and I love the work and info you pack into these posts. I almost feel like I know what's going on.
Re GTA; a one-day, billion dollar revenue product?!? And it's virtually invisible to mainstream media (other than advertising)?!? That right there tells you more than you ever needed to know about how controlled, PC and tunnel visioned the media is. Even if you just thought the MSM was all about money, you could not be less correct.
Thanks for the interesting posts and info on what the cool guys are up to.
Posted by: key at September 22, 2013 01:50 PM (fgjhb)
It's annoying that there are so many hoops you have to jump through before the game will grant you certain upgrade possibilities. For example, it's been three months, and I still can't get anyone to request a coffee shop. Dammit, I want KK Slider already!
Posted by: Kensington at September 22, 2013 02:03 PM (uaEZS)
Posted by: Alabama Mike at September 22, 2013 02:17 PM (9Tj+9)
Posted by: Blacque Jacques Shellacque at September 22, 2013 02:25 PM (ItfcE)
The game is a bit too "grindy"
Posted by: Zakn at September 22, 2013 03:17 PM (zyaZ1)
Oh sure. Sure. They're working on it. They'll call it windows 9, and charge you 150 bucks to upgrade to it.
Posted by: Sticky Wicket at September 22, 2013 05:19 PM (sCynV)
Ha! It will have even less features than the previous iteration and will have only three buttons on the UI:internet, games, media. The operating system also will need to have 16GB of ram and will use 12GB of it just to run all the bloated inefficient software. Everything else will be hidden in 47 different menus that you can't customize and half of which will have pop ups asking you if you are sure you want to go there.
Not to mention that Microsoft was seriously thinking about giving out a modular windows operating system that you would need to pay extra just to get standard features.
Posted by: NWConservative at September 22, 2013 03:38 PM (M1gmo)
Posted by: Empire1 at September 22, 2013 05:24 PM (KUxI+)
If you're hitting him with the Dragonrend shout (note that it is possible to miss) but it isn't having any effect, then it sounds like a bug. You could try using the in-game console to advance the quest (the command is setstage MQ206 220).
Posted by: DKCZ at September 22, 2013 03:56 PM (EgGjx)
And after three months of playing, none of the animals have made that request!
Thus, no KK Slider.
Posted by: Kensington at September 22, 2013 05:21 PM (uaEZS)
Posted by: Zakn at September 22, 2013 05:30 PM (zyaZ1)
Once I figured out beetle island, I was making 2-300k a night and then playing the stalk market making bank.
Posted by: Zakn at September 23, 2013 04:17 AM (zyaZ1)
62 queries taking 3.0304 seconds, 295 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.